Other Websites Useful to the Choral Community
Major Sites - Multipurpose
- ChoralNet serves as a comprehensive news, information and professional networking site as well as a gateway to online resources for the global choral music community. Many web forums and "communities" with discussions of every aspect of choral singing and performance. Comprehensive list of chorus websites and other regional and international lists. Classified ads, announcements, blogs. It is operated by the American Choral Directors Association and advised by the ChoralNet Committee.
- A new initiative by Chorus America to provide choral singers with a multifaceted information and communication service. Includes news, articles, recordings, forums, discounts on books and CD's, a calendar and other services.
"Singer Network is a dynamic web-based community for, by and about choral singers. When you join, you gain unrestricted access to a worldwide family of singers like yourself who love choral singing...and to a rich compendium of articles and vital resources that will help you keep singing for a lifetime."
Major Sites - Professional Associations
- Chorus America is a national, nonprofit service organization serving professional, volunteer, children/youth, and symphony/opera choruses and the leadership of these organizations: artistic directors, administrative staff and board members. There are currently over 700 member organizations and 500 individual members. Its strength is in its training and support for those involved in choral management, through conference sessions, workshops and other service. Chorus America has also become a leading advocacy organization on behalf of choral singing in America.
- ACDA is a national, "nonprofit music-education organization whose purpose is to promote excellence in choral music" and, through arts advocacy, to "elevate choral music's position in American society." There are currently approximately 18,000 individual members, representing all types of choral groups, but most are connected with schools and colleges.
Related Professional Associations
Organizations Representing Types of Chorus
Barbershop Harmony Society (formerly Society for the Preservation & Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America)
GALA Choruses ("supporting GLBT Choruses as we change our world through song")
Lists of Choruses
The best collection of other lists is on ChoralNet.
- Bay Area website journal of classical music. Also provides a "Performance Calendar" listing events for the current and following month in each of the five regions of the Bay Area.
- Calendar listing choral music concerts in the San Francisco Bay area
- Searchable national calendar of concerts by Chorus America member choruses
San Francisco Bay Area Choral & Music Organizations and Discussion Lists
- Gateway site for a cappella groups in the Bay Area.
ba-choral (a Yahoo group)
- Email list and bulletin board for the San Francisco Bay Area choral community (singers, directors, staff, board members, others). Complements ba-acappella.
- You must signup as a Yahoo group member, but participation is free.
- The primary bulletin board related to the San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory and this Choral Archive website.
ba-acappella (a Yahoo group)
- Email list and bulletin board serving the San Francisco Bay Area a cappella community
Classical & Choral Music Magazines and Blogs
- “The Bay Area's website journal of classical music criticism. Published every Tuesday, SFCV features reviews of musical performances in the greater Bay Area.” Publishes and archives reviews of many choral performances. Also provides a “Performance Calendar” listing events for the current and following month in each of the five regions of the Bay Area.
- Quarterly choral magazine published by Chorus America
(selected articles viewable online by non-members)
- Selected news and articles, including features about choral music, are available free online, although most articles are accessible only to subscribers.
- Official website of BBC Magazine
Choral Music (Repertoire)
- A project of the International Federation for Choral Music, working to create a comprehensive database of the choral music repertoire of the world